These interviews will not necessarily be held with faculty staff. Sometimes you will be talking to a member of the admissions office, or a university alum. It should go without saying that you have to be well prepared for the interview and that you should consider all potential questions as well as your answers.
Some questions you can expect:
- What are your academic interests and plans?
- How did you become interested in your field of study?
- Why do you want to pursue your degree at this particular university/department?
- How would you describe yourself?
- What is your greatest accomplishment/failure?
- What is the most significant contribution you’ve made?
- What is your strongest/weakest point?
- What do you see yourself doing in the future? In five years? In ten years?
- How will this program help you fulfil those goals?
It might be a good idea to prepare several questions for the interviewer, such as:
- How would you describe the atmosphere of this university/department/program?
- What’s are some of the most exciting projects you’ve seen from this program?
- Do you have any advice for someone interested in a career in…?
- Anything you want to know about the program but haven’t found out yet