These interviews might be held with a member of the admissions office, or a university alumn. You will not discuss your academic accomplishments during these interviews, as they are intended as ways to get to know you and your study goals. The university will probably want to know why you decided to apply to this particular institution.
It should go without saying that you have to be well-prepared for the interview and that you should consider all potential questions as well as your answers. Don’t turn the interview into a performance, and don’t memorize all answers to potential questions. Just be yourself.
- Ask your family, friends and professors at your university to practice the interview with you.
- Make sure that your last interview will be with the school you most wish to attend so you can use all other interviews as practice.
- Make sure that you stay up to date on the most recent developments in your fields of interest.
- Remember to send the interviewer a thank you note after the interview.
Some questions you can expect:
- Why do you want to attend this university?
- Why do you want to study in the USA?
- What do you think you will major in? Why?
- How would you describe yourself?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
- What is your strongest/weakest characteristic?
- What kind of impact do you see yourself making on our campus?
- What is the most significant contribution you’ve made to your school or community?
- What do you see yourself doing in the future? In five years? In ten years?
- What is your favorite book? Who is your favorite author?
- What extracurricular activities are important to you?
- Tell us about a current event you’re following.
It might be a good idea to prepare several questions for the interviewer, such as:
- Why would you recommend attending this university?
- How would you describe campus life at this university?
- Do you have any advice for me as an applicant?
- What impact did attending university have on your career?
Make sure you are well-prepared, and don’t ask questions about things that are easy to find on the website.