Student loans and other resources

Student loans

Do you meet the requirements for a loan in the Netherlands? Then you might also qualify for a loan during your studies in the US. You can find more information on the DUO website.  If you are not a Dutch citizen, you can research which loans and scholarships are available in your own country.


Student jobs

During their first year, international students with an F-1 visa are allowed to work on campus for a maximum of 20 hours a week. After this initial year you can work off-campus with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ (USCIS) permission. Students who entered the country on a J-1 visa can work off-campus for a maximum of 20 hours during their first year. The money you earn through your job cannot be used to pay for college, housing, or living expenses, and you won’t be able to cover all these costs with your student job’s income.

After one year you can consider working as a residence assistant (RA). You will guide students in your building in exchange for free boarding and meals on campus.


External funding bodies

There are very few external funding opportunities for undergraduate students. If you wish to obtain your Master’s in the United States, you can apply for funding at several Dutch and American sponsors and governmental bodies.


Exchange during your education in the Netherlands

An exchange between a Dutch institution and an American university is a relatively cheap alternative to a full study program abroad. Many higher education institutions in the Netherlands (hbo/wo) offer the opportunity to take part in an exchange program, or work with American universities to facilitate a semester/year abroad. One important benefit of these programs is their affordability: exchange students pay tuition to their Dutch institution, which means that you only need to consider room and living expenses abroad, which might still require you to look into funding. Your faculty or international office at your institution can give you more information about your options.


American nationals

If you are an American (dual) citizen, you can apply for financial support in various ways. 75% of these funding opportunities are offered through the American government. The largest federal funding program is the Pell Grant program, which funds on a curve depending on the income of your parent(s) or guardian(s) to ensure that the money will reach the people who need it most. The largest federal funding program is the Federal Family Education Loan Program, which offers loans to students as well as their parents. Most states also support scholarships that divide money according to needs. You will need to fill our several (online) forms to apply. Important websites are Studentaid and FAFSA.

You can only receive funding from one government at a time. If your loans and scholarships are awarded to you by the American government, you are not eligible to apply for a loan through Dutch funding bodies.