Vacancy Executive Director
Due to the departure of the current Executive Director, Stichting Fulbright Commission the Netherlands is seeking a replacement.
Since 1949, the Stichting Fulbright Commission the Netherlands has welcomed thousands of outstanding American and Dutch students, scholars, and teachers through its doors for the opportunity of a lifetime: the chance to study, research, and teach abroad in either the United States or the Netherlands. Our programs have been changing lives for 70 years, but we have remained unchanged in our commitment to fostering transformative experiences through education and the promotion of mutual understanding between citizens of the United States and the Netherlands. The Fulbright Commission has a wide array of programs and provides advice on all aspects of higher education in the United States. Our mission of promoting mutual understanding is central to all of our programs.
- Master’s degree or PhD from a Dutch or American university
- Extensive management, preferably in a non-profit environment
- Experience with fundraising and grant management
- A strong network in higher education
- Intercultural competences
- Excellent knowledge of English and Dutch
- Capacity to build connections as a leader
Long-term study or work experience in the United States is preferable, as is knowledge of and experience with higher education.
Stichting Fulbright Commission the Netherlands offers a dynamic work environment and attractive package and employment conditions.
An English language application letter and curriculum vitae should be submitted to the selection committee. Submit these documents before 30 October via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Sollicitatie ED.
Tasks and responsibilities of the Fulbright Commission’s Executive Director:
1. Managing and directing the administrative operation of Fulbright Commission the Netherlands, within the framework of policies established by the Fulbright Commission Board and the respective governments, including the following:
- Establishing and maintaining office procedures and rules
- Appointing, supervising, and training the staff
- Initiating and coordinating fundraising activities
- Establishing and maintaining the office management systems – database, accounting, etc.
- Managing the annual budget, including the timely and accurate commitment of funds
- Reviewing and approving obligations entered into by the Fulbright Commission
- Establishing an internal controls system which will provide the organization with reasonable assurance that use of funds is consistent with laws, regulations, and policies; that funds are safeguarded against waste, loss, and misuse; and that reliable data are obtained, maintained and disclosed in reports
- Ensuring compliance with European data privacy regulations (GDPR) in the handling of all personal data
- Overseeing the timely preparation and submission of financial, statistical, and narrative reports for the Fulbright Commission Board, funding governments, and other sponsors
- Executing a contract with a public auditing organization for an audit of the financial operations and a review of the management operations in accordance with the directives of the Board
- Conducting long-range program planning and developing the organization’s annual program and budget proposal and budget recommendations for the review and approval of the Board
2. Program development and management:
- Oversee management of all Fulbright Commission programs, ensuring they are well administered and consistent with the Fulbright Commission’s mission
- Developing new programs and, after approval by the Board, overseeing the proper administration of these programs
- Managing the selection and placement of grantees
- Planning and conducting orientation and re-entry programs for grantees
- Monitoring the personal welfare and professional success of the US program participants in the Netherlands and the Dutch program participants in the US
- Ensuring the quality of information provided according to the quality standards of EducationUSA
3. External relations:
- Establishing and maintaining working relationships with relevant governmental organizations, sponsors, educational institutions, and other relevant private or public organizations both in the US and in the Netherlands
- Establishing and maintaining working relationships with alumni, including the Netherlands Fulbright Alumni Association
- Establishing and maintaining working relationships with other Fulbright Commissions globally
- Acting as the spokesperson of the Fulbright Commission